Tuesday, January 13, 2009

Snowy Moose


This morning I was out sweeping snow off the front porch when I noticed movement in the woods just across the small road in front of the house; a moose cow stepped slowly out of the trees and stood browsing the twigs and small branches at the edge of the road. I moved quietly to a bench near the door, sat down slowly and kept very quiet and still, hoping she wouldn’t notice me there. She was about fifty feet away. Moose don’t have great eyesight, but their hearing is quite acute. An old Native American saying is that if a leaf falls in the forest, Eagle sees it, Bear smells it, and Deer hears it. Moose is the largest member of the Deer family, and those big ears tell you that they don’t miss much, sound-wise.

When I sat down, she stared in my direction for a moment, munching and waiting. I barely breathed. Detecting no threat, she continued walking and stripping bark and twigs from the trees. I cursed the fact that my camera was inside the house.



She slowly crossed the road and walked directly towards me, peering in my direction frequently. She was now about thirty feet away. While her back was turned to me, I slipped in the house and grabbed the camera. The movement did not scare her and when I came back she had not moved far; I was able to shoot a few photos as she continued her peramble of the yard for several more minutes. Then she disappeared back into the trees.

The Alaskan moose is the largest of the species, and this one was a beautiful big animal. The bark she was stripping was about eight feet off the ground. There is something almost magical about being so close to such a large wild creature.

Labels:

4 Comments:

Anonymous Anonymous said...

Love the moose pictures! I was in my car in the summer in Maine once coming around a bend (going very slowly because I was looking for a friend's road), and I could hear a clip clop, clip clop out my window-thinking, oh, there's someone on horseback up around the bend, and next thing I know there's a moose right on the side of the road looking right at me and starts munching away on some leaves - we sat there for a few minutes looking at each other and I called him Bullwinkle cause he was so cute! Huge, but cute!

Wednesday, January 14, 2009 8:35:00 AM  
Blogger Ruth said...

Great pictures. I went hunting once with my f-i-l and we tramped around for several days looking for a moose in N. Ont. I am glad we didn't find one. But I do accept moose meat when other hunters offer it to us.

Thursday, January 15, 2009 4:51:00 AM  
Blogger Christina RN LMT said...

Gorgeous! I was very disappointed that I never saw a moose when I did a bike/camping tour of Sweden when I was 17. Everyone kept telling me that they were everywhere you look in Sweden. I guess they were avoiding me...;)

Thursday, January 15, 2009 10:03:00 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

I love all of your moose pics - keep them coming :)

(Sorry to hear about the pipe problems :( )

Friday, January 16, 2009 2:06:00 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home